Saturday 8 March 2014

Cardiff Comic Con - March 2014

It's a fact - geeks are the best people! I've been wanting to visit a comic convention ever since I first heard about Comic Con International in San Diego. Whilst that's still on my 'to visit' list, it sadly won't be for some years before I can get to go to California. Which is why I'm delighted that Cardiff now hosts it's own Comic Con at the Motorpoint Arena!

The event, which started in August 2013 and will hopefully run twice every year, draws in  huge crowds from all areas of fandom. In the queue alone I saw the following cosplay: Dr Who; Game of Thrones; Star Trek; Star Wars; X-Men; Lord of the Rings; The Avengers; Ghostbusters; Disney; Kick Ass; plus a lot of manga. Inside it was a veritable visual feast of awesomeness! The auditorium is crammed full of stalls, selling anything and everything a fangirl or fanboy could desire (t-shirts, models, vintage figurines, artwork, plus much more).

My two favourite stalls were Genki Gear, who sell brilliantly quirky t-shirts (and are now my best friends because they've met Benedict Cumberbatch!), and FanGirl Quest, who seek out fandom shooting locations and "sceneframe" the shots. Those girls are are very possible my geek love soulmates, and I'd love to be involved with their project in some way (hint). There are also several displays of original props and items used in various movies and shows. There is also the opportunity to meet and have a photograph with a variety of TV and movie stars. This year's stars included: John Rhys Davies (Gimli from Lord of the Rings); Danny John-Jules (Cat from Red Dwarf); Chris Judge (Teal'c from SG-1) Eve Myles (Gwen from Torchwood); Lee Merriweather (Catwoman); Devon Murray (Seamus from Harry Potter); plus many more!

The event does get really busy, and there are lots of opportunities for you to part with your hard earned cash, but it's something I'd highly recommend everyone visit. The weekend is so choc full of joy and creativity, and everyone is there to just have good, old fashioned fun. It's a place which encourages imagination, and allows people to truly be themselves; which is only ever a good thing!

The next Cardiff Comic Con is set to take place on the 8th and 9th November this year. I'm definitely going again, and I already have my cosplay in mind.....

Get Adobe Flash player
Photo Gallery by QuickGallery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment