Sunday 23 February 2014

Killer Queen - A review of Europe's Top Queen Tribute Band

I love Queen! I mean, really, who doesn't! Although I was, sadly, too young to ever truly appreciate them in their heyday (Freddie died when I was 9), thanks to my parent's musty but eclectic record collection, I was able to connect with their phenomenal music in my teens.

As a general rule, I'm a little bit dubious about tribute acts, especially those who are trying to imitate such iconic stars. They can often times seem farcical, or lack that je ne sais quoi that made the original so electrifying. Therefore I went in with limited expectations of Killer Queen at St David's Hall. I imagined the best I could hope for would be some semi-decent tunes, and a chance to sing Queen karaoke with my friends and 1200 other Queen fans.

From the moment the band burst onto the stage in a shower of golden flames, my expectations were blown apart. Killer Queen are as close to the real deal as I think anyone is likely to get. The band have been performing together since 1993, and their joy in their craft is obvious and infectious.


Freddie 2 is so much like the original Freddie it's almost eerie. He had everything down pat, from Freddie's mannerisms, to his signature Butch Castro look (including what I hope are false bad teeth). By the time Fat Bottom Girls started playing he had the audience eating out of his hand; with everyone either clapping their hands, stamping their feet, or in the case of my friends and I - up and dancing in the aisles. They played all the hits you'd expect: Killer Queen, I Want to Break Free, Bicycle, The Show Must Go On, Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You, We Are the Champions, and many more.

As a child of the Wayne's World generation, only one course of action was permissible during their second encore of Bohemian Rhapsody. I do have a slight headache this evening due to the rather enthusiastic headbanging, but it was entirely worth it.

Catch them in your area if you can!



No comments:

Post a Comment